What is responsible mining?
We work with Artisanal and Small-Scale Mining organizations (ASMO) which promote:
• Socially & environmentally responsible practices
• Fair and humane workplace conditions
• Economic development and poverty reduction in their community
• Good governance, legality, participation and respect for diversity in the mining community
• Efficiency in mining technologies
We go straight to the source – smell the salt of the earth, see the miners at work, and feel the unpolished texture of pure, untarnished Colombian gold. Partnering with artisanal and small-scale mining organizations ensures that Amalena’s metals are extracted using only responsible practices.
We collaborate with two mining groups in La Llanada, the heart of the Colombian Andes, who share Amalena’s mission. The first, ASOMIRCOL (Asociacion por una Mineria Responsible y Comercio Justo del Suroccidente Colombiano) ensures that the living and working conditions of miners are fair, healthy, and sustainable. Another, Coodmilla Ltda. is a cooperative that includes the miners and local community in crafting policies affecting the workers and their families. Through their mission promoting democracy, community, and ecological responsibility, Amalena is proud to partner with these fair mining organizations.